Hopkins Forest will play host to the 9th annual Berkshire Bioblitz the weekend of September 15th-16th, 2018. Biologists of all stripes will take to the woods, wetlands and fields to find and tally species from as many taxa as possible, including algae, ferns, trees, fungi, arthropods, mollusks, fish, birds, reptiles and more. Teams of surveyors, each led by an expert in the field, will go out throughout the 24-hour period to look for specific groups of organisms.
This event is open to experts, teachers, students and volunteer enthusiasts alike. There will also be educational programs throughout the two days (schedule below). Let us know [email protected] if you would like more information or just show up at the event (no registration necessary). Van shuttles will run from campus (Paresky-Park Street) on the hour all day Saturday and 8:00-noon Sunday.
Bioblitz Schedule of Activities
- 8:00 am : Bird Walk with Mary Batcheller
- 9:45: Sampling Wetland Invertebrates with Karen Murray, USGS.
- 10:00 : “Why are bugs in streams like canaries in coal mines” Stream Foray with Professor Elena Traister, MCLA (family friendly)
- Noon : Welcome and Kickoff — Biological Surveys Begin
- Noon to 5:00 Various Biological Surveys Ongoing (details at “Welcome Table”)
- 1:00 pm : Pollinator Walk with Professor Joan Edwards, Williams College
- 2:00 : Animal Tracks & Signs (family friendly)
- 3:00 : Mushroom Talk with John Wheeler
- 4:00 : Big Tree Walk with Bob Leverett
- 8:00 : Owl Prowl with Rene Wendell, TNC
- 8:00 : Moth Light Show with Jason Crockwell & Mark Mello
- 8:00 am : Birding with Hoffmann Bird Club Members (bring binoculars)
- 8:00 : Bird Banding with Dan Schustack, MCLA
- 9:00 : Sampling Stream invertebrates with Gordon Batcheller, HooRWA
- 10:00 : Mammals of the Berkshires: Trail Camera Footage Review in the Rosenburg Center with Elia Del Molino, BEAT
- noon — Preliminary results and conclusion of BIOBLITZ.
Please note that bio-surveys will be ongoing throughout this period; to join in on an expert-led foray, report to the “Welcome Table” when you arrive at the Forest.
See you September 15th/16th!